About Me

My photo
A family of five (Dad, Mom, and three sons) seeking to live our lives to bring glory and honor to God.

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Forgotten Focus

Have you ever gotten busy or out of your routine and forgotten your focus? Recently I was on a work/vacation and I succumbed to that problem. I am ashamed to admit it but it happened.

We were in the DC/Baltimore area where my husband was having a week of work related meetings. He brought us, my only remaining teen at home and myself. And tagging along was my oldest son and his fiancé. My middle son is stationed here in the Marines. So this was actually going to be sort of a family vacation on the weekends.

Skipping the scheduling details, we were trying to please several different peoples site seeing goals. Then my oldest got food poisoning and was down two of the few days he was going to be here. My middle son had to work during the week as did my husband. So we were together at times and it just a few of us at times.

But I say all that to share that I was never alone, sharing a room with my soon to be daughter in law. I did not have time in God’s Word or time to sit and talk with God. Though very addicted to this time in a normal routine, I could not find alone time. I tried once and was interrupted.

Mid week, my oldest son and his fiancé went to the beach and were gone all day. So it was just my youngest and me for most of the day. I am ashamed to say…..I was spiritually lazy! And physically lazy. All I did was lounge around eating junk food watching old TV shows all day. I turned off my phone, did not look at Facebook, I did not talk to anyone….What a waste!

The next day the Lord took care of that for me in a rebuke. My oldest son and his fiancé left the next morning. After saying goodbye, I eagerly ate my breakfast in preparation to be with my Lord. I talked with the server and told her I would pray for the needs she had shared with me. After seeing my sweet husband off, I took my coffee to my room.

I hopped on the elevator with two kids. “Hi” I said to them. Then asked, “Are ya’ll here on vacation?” I smiled in expectation of a yes answer. The girl looked to be about 7 and the boy about 5.

Here came the rebuke… the girl answered, “No my mom has cancer and we are here for her treatment.” The elevator doors opened and they exited before I could form a reply.

Wow! Was I ever rebuked! I had been lazy the day before, I wondered at what opportunities I had missed! God convicted me that it is not okay to spend my time on myself. I do not get to eat what I want, watch what I want, ignore people, ignore responsibility. I negated my time with the Lord for a TV show….and did not pray for anyone.

I had valid excuses..... we don’t have tv connections at home so this was a treat…..I rarely ever do this….. I’m getting into my son’s world….can’t I just indulge once….. I could be doing worse things….on and on the excuses went!

What emptiness, what hollowness I ended up with at the end of the day. I had helped no one, but myself (if you can call that help), I prayed for no one, I invested in no one…..

I had indeed forgotten my focus!

So, with the words of that little girl still echoing in my ears…..I went to my room, now vacant except for me…and got on my face before my Abba and cried out to Him! I worshipped Him, I read His words to me….I prayed many of them. I prayed…..and prayed….and prayed some more. Oh how I missed being with Him.

I was reminded my focus needs to be about His Kingdom….His righteousness and then I will have the right focus for the day. I had gotten so wrapped up in my day, my family, my vacation, my laziness. All the while there were real hurts going on. Lives that hung in the balance…

I was reminded to refocus….we are here for others…to show the Love of God to others. No matter where you are, don’t forget there are others, in the “trenches” of real hard situations.

Don’t miss the opportunities God has for you!

No comments: