About Me

My photo
A family of five (Dad, Mom, and three sons) seeking to live our lives to bring glory and honor to God.

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

A Thomas Kincaid Christmas

 

An email came across my this week describing what kind of Christmas I must be having.  This person only briefly knows my through my books.  We have met over coffee and keep an email relationship.  She knows the general area where I live yet has never been to my house. 

Bless her heart, she had described this beautiful Thomas Kincaid picturesque Christmas that she was assured I was having.  You know the kind…..

The immaculately clean house with decorations delicately placed.  The house toasty with a crackling fire in the fireplace.  Sitting with grandma’s quilt, kitting in my hands while pies cool in the kitchen, apple cider filling the air.  The noise of happy children playing contently.  And delightful conversation of older adult children.  Presents all wrapped and snuggled under the tree.

A beautiful Christmas tree donned the corner with ornaments saved over the years.  Dinner with all the trimmings soon the grace the long table filled with excited family.  Everyone home, all getting along, giving the best to the other person, laying down their own desires for other family members. 

The dog curled up by the fire, the cat next to him contently purring.  The Spirit of peace and love filled the air.

This woman knowing I am a fiction writer….just thought I would have a fiction Christmas…..Okay camera man……turn to camera this way….to reality!  Okay, let’s be real…..

There is fire wood, at least a few peices, may have to cut some more before the day is over.  But we don’t have a fireplace!  That is our heat and we are gonna be freezing our tushes if we don't get out there and cut some.  And never mind the mud trail coming in the back door.  But then again you probably had to step over a bag of trash that never made it down the driveway to the trash trailer.  OOpps!

The decorations, mix matched that they are, at least move the dust around so that everyone is sneezing.  And the poor tree, who knows…you get what you get when it’s live and by Christmas day needles cover the floor!  Two years ago, the tree fell over breaking some of our dated ornaments. 

Oh and the grumblings of stringing popcorn and cranberries can be heard by the neighbors, but not near as loudly as the wailing of Christmas card making days! Of course back aches from days of baking preceded these days.

The beautiful description of the Nostalgic Christmas was touching.  I have thought upon her words for days.  Thought about what Nostalgic means.  I too would have loved her description to be true, but one thing Nostalgia has is…. perfect people & perfect settings & perfect endings.  I like to think that Heaven will the epic Nostalgia. 

Because what she didn’t see….in her imagination and heart…

Putting up a Christmas tree with disinterested children.

Having Thanksgiving the day after with a split crew of sons and girlfriends.

A prodigal son, whose relationship was several damaged with his mother and whole family over the past two years.  This was his first Christmas away.  It comes with all that baggage….

A son who could only spare a few hours two days after Christmas….even those few hours he was tired and there was bickering among the children.

A 16 year old rebellious teenager who knows everything in the world and is in a constant state of disrespect.

A husband who is doing the best he can but is effected by all the same things as myself, but does not always know how to help.

And a body that is in constant pain, and there is still Christmas dishes to wash!

What is Nostalgic about all that?

I don’t want to bust her bubble.  What she wrote is really true, but you have to look at it through the correct lens….

The Season from Thanksliving…..through Christmas:

Was filled with:

Baking for my friends.

Taking a loaf of bread to each of my neighbors with a Christmas card…..visiting with them.

Meeting a lonesome woman and her son and helping her with food, money and friendship…just loving on her.

Being a friend to her son when no one else gives him time of day.  To take him to the movies and let him spend the night over.

Taking baskets of goodies and cards to the elderly and singing to them.

Hugging a neck of a friend who is struggling and wiping her tears. Assuring her New Mercies each morning.

Taking another friend for coffee who husband had just got his termination papers….praying with her.

My son bringing a gang of teens over with 5 min notice!  Love it…messy house, who cares get out the popcorn popper and cookies!

Another friend lost her step mother Thanksgiving day…she is a close friend calling her, praying for her.

Another friend’s son walked out in a mad rage on Christmas day…she called me a few days later for help.

Emails, phone calls. Visits to encourage those God puts in my pathway and most of all prayer for them.

Meeting Jessica and offering her help during this very trying time and getting to meet a new friend on that same day.  Making cards to bless others.

Christmas cards to friends far and wide…the time making them with my unwilling family..but the blessing they have been to others.

Doing things way out of my box…..

Worshipping my God like never before…

Seeing Redemption on every street corner.

Back to this beautiful area I live in….chopping wood in the freezing cold…is NOT nostalgic.

But here is the new lens view:

I am Thankful my prodigal was here…he is showing signs of change…not where I want him to be with the Lord, but closer than last year.  There is hope for him.  Can I trust in my prayers for God to work in  his life.  He even called me yesterday to thank me again for making Christmas so wonderful for him.

My other son, has to walk his faith journey too….I am thankful I had any time with him at all.  He is not disrespectful.  I am thankful we live only 4 hours away and that he has a good lady friend that will point him closer to God.

My 16 year old got another glimpse of his brothers areas that he does not want to follow after.  That is good for him to see.  We have had a good few days.  That is something to be thankful for. 

I forget to be grateful I have a husband who loves me and cares.  He does not always express that but I am reminded of the loneliness many experience during the holiday season and it makes me thankful I am not alone.

And I will always hurt physically and I did end up sick, but have got some meds and am on the mend.

So  you see, out here in the country we were toasty warm, there was love and laughter.  There were tears of repentance.  There were new memories being made, new pictures being carved in our family.  There were hurtful words and there were mending words.  There was play and there was work. There was popcorn and cranberry stringing for the Christmas tree….there was much joy in our hearts because the joy comes from within….and none of those outward situations could take that away from me.  I love Christmas because I love Jesus…and He is the One who my thoughts and actions stay centered on (at least I try!) He is the one who wipes my tears and holds my hand and keeps me going.  Yes, the Spirit was thick among us…..for that I am eternally thankful.

And I still did the dishes…..but with joy as I prayed and thanked the Lord for my imperfect family having the imperfect Christmas….because one day we will have the perfect Christmas…when we see Him face to face….until then….it’s all about Nostalgia!

No comments: