About Me

My photo
A family of five (Dad, Mom, and three sons) seeking to live our lives to bring glory and honor to God.

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Homeless or Hopeless

bum3 This is a hard blog to process because I have more questions than answers.  I don’t feel qualified to even write about the topic.  Yet those of you who know me….I must write about what is on my heart.  And just so you know…..my thoughts are all across the spectrum on this topic.  I am just going to throw it out there….

As you can imagine in a place called “Paradise” all kinds of people bum1 come to visit.  The locals here also come from many walks of life.  I was not really surprised to see “homeless” yet I have never seen this many.  Even while we lived in CA did I see this many. 

I was struck speechless as I jogged along the waters edge the first morning here.  There were people sleeping on the beach.  I call them my Sand people.  All along the shore here and there, were bundles of sand people. Though I thought it was a “cool” idea to sleep on the beach out under the stars to the constant sound of crashing waves.  Somehow I don’t think this was the sentiment of the sand people. 

Up near the boardwalk area at the beach tree line were the root people.  I call them that because under this one tree was a couple asleep then when I turned the bend of that same tree, there was a body asleep in the alcove of the roots of the same tree.  I nearly jumped when I saw it. 

bum2 Then on we went to the city streets following the jogging route. There was many bench buddies if you will.  Almost every other bench was a bed for someone.  I realized that the city had tried to rectify this problem by putting a huge bar arm rail in the middle of the benches.  But these homeless did not care.  Not to mention, one young kid was asleep on the bench next to the police station. So evidently either it is not illegal or the city just gave up because it is a rampant problem here in Waikiki. 

There were many that I call street sleepers.  I am not sure why, but they were bedded down right next to the street (I would be afraid of rolling over and falling into the street while asleep) A group I call the Mocha mob, stake out their place right in front of Starbucks every night.  I saw one of them get up and drag all their belongings on a tarp across the busy street.

But by daylight, the hundreds of homeless suddenly just vanish.  But bummer as the week went on, I began to see them in the day time too.  It is just that by daylight the streets are flooded with locals and tourist alike that the homeless blend in…

But is you look, still under the floral pavilions they are asleep on tables or in chairs.  Or doing their “day jobs.”

Like Plastic man.  I watched many a man (and women do this too) hit all the trash cans for plastic bottles (this is gross to me to be diggin in, and emptying someone else's stuff!)  They pulled a cart behind, then they would be back again in less than an hour, doing the route again. 

Then there was Robert….. Robert put on some clean clothes ,a hat and went around selling island tours.  We were kind and listened.  My heart broke for him. In his intoxicated stupor, he had a hard time squatting down as he presented his island”wares” to  us.  He was trying. I don’t know whether his tours were legit or not, we kindly declined the offer as we had already made our plans.  All I could think was…..he reminded me so much of my dad and wonder if no one had had pity on us….we were often hungry.

The last homeless I want to show you was burrito man.  Right smack dab in the middle of the sidewalk was a person wrapped up head to toe in a blanket.  But at his feet there was a sandwich in a plastic container.  This was the sight I can’t get out of my mind! I did not take a picture and wish I had. 

Even now, tears threaten to consume me.  From what I gather, someone had shown kindness on this burrito man, and set a sandwich at his feet, to eat when he woke.

What a ministry!  My heart was overwhelmed by the sight…..it was a sight of love in action!  Don’t know if they knew the person, if it was a stranger or whether it was a church group that did this for all the homeless.(which would be ALOT of sandwiches.  Though it was the only one i saw this with a sandwich). 

I am left with a heavy heart…..I want to help.  How do I help?  Should I help? My heart is tender……

Yet, I also struggle with treating these people with the same integrity I wish to be shown to me.  They are beautiful in God’s sight made in His image too.

One of the things I observed with many was this:  many of them talk to themselves.  Now there may be a scientific/drug/mental reason.  But the visual God showed me was this:  They talk to themselves because they don’t have a friend.  No one gives them time of day.  It is heart wrenching.

I asked my husband this question:  Do you think these people, Robert for example, even thinks he is less fortunate than we are?  Are they happy where they are.  I know many times it is perhaps a choice, yet we also know that in other cases it  can not be helped.

That posed a question in my mind…..are they homeless or hopeless?  Why do we associate (or maybe it is just me!)  The homeless with hopeless.  Why do I find it hard to wrap my brain around the fact that some of these dirty, mangy looking street people could be saved.  Why is that so hard for me.  Just because they are homeless doesn’t mean they are hopeless.

I struggle with this, not that it is a new thing, like I said having lived in CA for years, I am not unfamiliar with the homeless scene.  Though  I will reiterate, this was totally magnified by far.  I wish for a way to help.  I do know, I don’t want to have a hard heart about it.

I must ask God to show me what to do………..I will do something

I encourage you to reach out of your comfort zone……somehow, someway to those in need, whether  you think they are deserving of it or not…..

Perhaps you and I are only 3 paychecks away from being a bench warmer ourselves. 

In all these thoughts…. I am reminded… Jesus was homeless!

For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,
I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me,

I was in prison and you came to visit me.'
"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?
When did we see you a stranger and invite you in,

or needing clothes and clothe you?
When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'
"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

Matthew 25;35-40

 

No comments: