About Me

My photo
A family of five (Dad, Mom, and three sons) seeking to live our lives to bring glory and honor to God.

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Splashes of Envy

Looking out over the private alcove of sparkling green water…. Envy grew.

LDW1 Here I have seen sunrises beautiful….sunsets indescribable.  I had splashed in the ocean several times at the beach on Waikiki.  I had some epic moments of worship.  I had some great rest and relaxation.  I had take a drive around the island taking in spectacular views of the volcanic mountains.  I watch whales dance in the majestic ocean.  I had seen surfers claim curl after curl.

Yet at that moment…..

I was envious of what I didn’t have.

We had pulled into a famous site seeing pullover.  The blowhole.  Totally awesome thing.  As waves  crashed into the rocks below, there was a tunnelldw2 in the rock in which water would spout up threw causing ocean spray to go way up in the air.  Very cool! 

While way up on this bluff you could look out at the majestic ocean.  The views of the rocks, ledges, boulders and water were incredible.  Below on the left was an alcove where the ocean came in on a small beach. 

The water was gorgeous.  A hand full of people were down on the beach enjoying the emerald green water. Riding the waves.  Laughter could be heard.  On three side were great boulders and LDW3 cliffs. 

I wanted to go down there and dip my feet in the water.  No what I really wanted to do was….get on my bathing suit and get all the way in the water…and ride those fantastic waves myself!

I was jealous…..

There was no way I could transverse those rocks to get down there. I don’t swim and I bet that the water where the waves actually were would be over my head.  Not to mention they had to be pretty powerful.  And though I wished the water to be warm.  It had been freezing all week, why did i think suddenly just because it looked like a picture book that it would suddenly be warmer?? Like it was probably really dangerous!  There were warning signs. 

It looked really cool the rocks people were climbing on and waving.  But if the truth be known, that takes a lot of strength.

The scene below me was picturesque, that is true.  I saw it through fairytale glasses.  When in reality…I would have been miserable If I had attempted to get down there, cold if I had gotten in the water.  No telling if I would have gotten hurt…..

Not so beautiful huh?

But here is the lesson my sweet Jesus showed me….my ugly heart. Here I had received so much during my week of vacation…..yet I wanted more.

Is that ugly or what?

Envy is ugly. 

Thank You Lord for showing me my ugly heart.

Contentment and Gratitude are Beautiful!

But godliness with contentment is great gain.

I Timothy 6:6

No comments: