About Me

My photo
A family of five (Dad, Mom, and three sons) seeking to live our lives to bring glory and honor to God.

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Mercy + Grace = Heaven

There is an image in my heart that will not remain silent.  So I will share yet another blog from my trip to Hawaii. 

There has been much written about Heaven.  There are countless Bible studies on the subject.  But if you were to describe Heaven in just two words what would they be?

As I tossed this around in my head I tried to combine Mercy and Grace like this:  Gracy OR Merace etc.  What would mercy and grace look like combined?

I want to show you a snapshot of Heaven…

It was Friday night.  We had finished dinner,  Walked along the beach back towards the hotel, leisurely taking our time. We eventually found an empty bench and sat and watched  sailboats in the distance, and then watched the beautiful sunset. Among all this glorious beauty were hundreds of people walking on the boardwalk.  It was full of people and especially as time approached for the fireworks. 

When in the throngs of people…….came Mercy and Grace.  A homeless man walked up, bumped by passerbys, and he asked us, “Hey can you spare a dollar?”

I could tell the man did not want to ask.  His countenance reveal anticipated rejection. 

Then I saw it. . .

My husband said, “Sure I can.”  reached in his pocket and gave him a bill.  When the man saw it he stumbled back.  My sweet husband had given him a $20.

Mercy: Not getting what you expect

          (The man expected rejection)

Grace: Giving what you don’t deserve

         (he received more $ than what he asked for)

His face could not believe this grace and mercy was extended to him.  He nearly stumbled off the sidewalk.  He kept looking back.  he thanked us profusely. 

If Heaven is not the embodiment of Grace and Mercy. . .

Is that not what Jesus did for us?  Had mercy on us, not giving us what we expect (hell)  And gave us grace of which we did not deserve (heaven)

When we see grace and mercy here on this earth.  It looks like heaven to me.

No comments: