About Me

My photo
A family of five (Dad, Mom, and three sons) seeking to live our lives to bring glory and honor to God.

Wednesday, January 08, 2014

Multi-Million Dollar Complacency

I was told this morning by our shuttle driver that over 24 % of the population here in Hawaii are multi million dollar residents.  wow!  So now i know how they got that way…….the prices we have paid from postcards to ice cream to the entrance to a state park.Everything cost here.  Or perhaps because they are here folks can demand that pricing. 

But….it is an unpleasant side of this place. Just as epic is the beauty i have seen, so is the tourists.I am convinced (outside of NY) there must be more tourists than residents! it is unreal.  Phenomenal.  The tourist industry is huge.  Without it it would probably be the US largest unemployment surge! 

Sadly, most don’t seem to enjoy their job.  I can not imagine serving tourists year round.  Yet if it is your job, part of that job is for the visitors to feel special, not another slab of meat. 

Everywhere you turn, the occupation somehow is connected to the tourism.  It is really interesting.  I have noticed a thick cloud of complacency in the midst of the locals who work here.  I have only meet two people who seemed to really like their job. 

I wonder just how complacent the locals have become.  Then i got my answer…..

By day 4 of our vacation, I noticed that on my walk to the beach, that I no longer stopped to admire the ornate shrubs/trees that lined the pathway.  I didn’t take anymore pictures of the passion flowers, or the woven strands of climbing floral.  The Amazon like leaf tunnel trails no longer amazed me….I just walked through complacency stealing over me!

It seems it doesn’t matter where you are or what you are doing, complacency can rob you of today's joy and tomorrows promise.  we need to guard against this and pray that God keep us keenly aware of his beauty and our duty in this world. 

If it is that easy to be to become complacent about our surroundings, how much easier it is to become spiritually complacent.  To forget those around you and the message that we carry or should be carrying to a lost world.

May we get on our faces daily lest we become complacent and our God opportunities pass us by.

A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.

Proverbs 25:11

Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.
  Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.

Galatians 6:9-10

He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation.  Matthew 16:15

No comments: